Equipment

Hideo Kojima says Metal Gear Solid 2 had to make 300 changes and was almost cancelled in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks-

Hideo Kojima recently gave an interview to the magazine Weekly Tokyo Keizai, in which he talked a little about the run-up to the release of Metal Gear Solid 2 and how real-world events almost scuppered the game’s release. At the time MGS2 was probably the most anticipated game in the world, and was due to release in November 2001. Then two months before the game’s release, the September 11 terrorist attacks happened, killing just under 3,000 people and changing the course of the world.

MGS2, which featured terrorist factions attacking New York, was suddenly a project with very bad timing indeed. Kojima and Konami went into crisis mode, with Sony also involved, realising that it simply could not release the game as-was in this context. Particular scenes, such as Arsenal Gear crashing into Manhattan and collapsing various buildings, were now unthinkable (the bookends of this scene survive, but what happens in-between is left to the player’s imagination). 

“The depiction of [the] game’s themes and its numerous similarities with the real-world events on September 11 rendered it unfit for release at the time,” said Kojima (thanks, GR+). “After consulting with lawyers, the end result was that the game required revisions in 300 spots. It goes without saying that we were in crisis mode and it was threatening the release and sale of the game.”

Kojima had to go into a meeting with Konami’s senior management and explain the contents of MGS2’s story and scenario: “Everyone’s facial expression had a look of ‘this is not good’.”

The director’s first instinct was that “the game shouldn’t be released at this period in time” and, further to that, “I have no other choice but to take responsibility and resign from the company.”

Into this came Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi, who pointed out to Kojima that he was hardly in control of real world events and should not hold himself responsible: “this is not a matter you should be ashamed of,” said Kutaragi. “You should go ahead and release the game.”

“[I also] reached out to Kagemasa Kozuki, the founder of Konami through email,” said Kojima. “He responded with, ‘I have made up my mind. The game should be released. What are your thoughts?’ I was moved by the words and I too made up my mind.”

The game’s release was ultimately delayed by a few weeks while the developers worked to change what needed changing, and ultimately launched on November 13, 2001. 

Kojima has recently been reminiscing about the Metal Gear games, before this lamenting that MGS4’s digital battlefield “is no longer science fiction“. There was also the oddity of the parallels between Death Stranding and the subsequent global pandemic which, Kojima says, meant he re-wrote the upcoming sequel entirely.

Related Posts

Unity’s new CFO is former Shutterstock exec Jarrod Yahes

Unity's executive overhaul has continued with the appointment of Jarrod Yahes as chief financial officer.

Yahes joins the engine maker from Shutterstock, where he served as CFO for the past five years. During his tenure, he oversaw the company's expansion into 3D content, data monetization, and digital advertising.

His appointment follows the recent hiring of Havoc co-founder Steve Collins, who was named Unity chief technology officer last week.

Unity's new C-suite

Unity…

Bandai Namco Had A Pretty Great 2020, Revenue Reached $6.8 billion

Thanks to the perfect storm of a global pandemic and an entertainment-starved population turning to video games to help stave off lockdown boredom, video game publishers have reported record earnings for the financial year ending on March 31, 2021. According to its latest financial results, publisher Bandai Namco was among these, recently seeing a healthy 2.3% increase in sales year-on-year, earning $6.8 billion overall.

Operating profit grew by 7.5% to $777 million when compared to the previous fiscal year, with video game sales earning $1.07 billion for the company Come from online casino bangladesh . That made for a healthy 19.2% increase year-on-year compared to the previous year, although it’s worth noting that net sales acro…

Assassin's Creed Writer Leaves Ubisoft After 10 Years

Assassin’s Creed writer Darby McDevitt, who worked on numerous entries in the series over his 10 years at Ubisoft, is leaving the developer. He announced on Twitter that today, March 26, is his final day at Ubisoft Montreal.

McDevitt said he has “decided to set forth on a new adventure,” though he did not say where is headed next, whether it be in games or something else entirely.

“After a decade of working with brilliant people, creating stories & characters for an incredible series, & interacting with our wonderful fans, I have decided to set forth on a new adventure,” he said. “A special thanks to all the fans & content creators that have supported & expanded on our work over the years. Thank you for your kind attention! You have my deepest respect & a…

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Demo's Visuals Will Look Better After Update

Square Enix will roll out an update on on February 21 that will improve the visual quality of the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo. Come from Sports betting site VPbet

More specifically, the improvements to the visual quality will be applied when selecting “Performance Mode” from the graphics options. Square Enix has also confirmed in a Twitter post that that these changes will apply to the full game.

George Romero's Lost Movie The Amusement Park Will Be Released By Shudder

A rare early film from legendary Dawn of the Dead director George A. Romero will be released by AMC’s horror streaming service Shudder. The film is titled The Amusement Park and was directed by Romero in 1973.

The Amusement Park was considered “lost” and has been rarely seen since it was made. It was recently rediscovered by the George A. Romero Foundation and restored in 4K. The film will hit Shudder in the summer, and ahead of that, a striking poster by Polish artist Aleksander Wasilewski has been released. Check it out below:

The movie was Romero’s only work-for-hire film and was commissioned by Lutheran Society. It follows an elderly man, played by Lincoln Maazel, who finds himself lost at an amusement park. It deals with issues of ageism, as the man becomes increasingly…

Resident Evil- Revelations 2 – Episode Two Review

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 sets you down the same path at two different points in time, playing as iconic characters Barry Burton and Claire Redfield. In the first episode, Claire is stuck on an island that’s under the control of a devious overseer, who subjected her and her companion, Barry’s daughter Moira, to a veritable gauntlet of violent and deformed monstrosities as they tried to make their escape. Barry arrived six months later, hoping to rescue his daughter, and when he landed ashore, he befriended a mysterious girl named Natalia who can see enemies through walls, making her a very useful companion indeed. Even though you ran through the same locations twice, once as each party, different weapons, enemy types and companion abilities were enough to stave off repetiti…